Last Updated on
Short on time? Here are 20 proven kindergarten music lesson plans ready to go . . .
Your children will love these engaging kindergarten music lessons. In every lesson they are active as they play instruments, move, dance, dramatise and learn to sing new songs. Each kindergarten music lesson follows the same format but with different songs. For example, after we do a body percussion song, we always do a finger play.
Click on each lesson plan title to read the playlist of songs or download the lesson plan. If you want a complete program of lessons to last for a year, download all 20. (See more on discounts for buying a complete music curriculum.) This is what one teacher wrote:
Hi there! Yes! I’m from Spain, I Run my own business, a nursery School where we teach English through Music and movement. I love your Lessons plans because They are easy to follow and They organise my time!! I usually teach vocabulary with your songs.
Maria Prieto Martin, Causeway Academy,
This is a complete curriculum. There are ten kindergarten music activities:
body percussions; finger plays; memory songs; rhythm instruments; melody and harmony instruments; horse-riding songs; drama and movement; games and dances; story songs and social conventions.
Each activity develops one or more of the following musical skills:
listening; moving; singing; playing instruments; improvising
Each activity develops one or more of the following musical concepts:
rhythm; pitch; melody; harmony; timbre; texture; form; style; and expression – made up of tempo, dynamics, articulation, interpretation.
Within each lesson, the songs have been chosen to interact within rich driving social and environmental concepts:
- Farming practices and farm animals: Beautiful Farm
- Food: Cooks in the Kitchen
- Unexpected occurrences: Surprise! Surprise!
- Seas and Oceans: Over the Sea
- How to amuse yourself: Holiday Fun
- Different aspects of the body: My Body
- Insect and hygiene; Shoo Fly Shoo!
- Various emotions: In My Heart
- Observing and caring for animals: Be Kind to Animals
- Use of and care around candles: Candle Burning Bright
- Coordination within dramatic play: New Games to Play
- Consideration of consequences and problem solving: Uh-oh!
- Observing animals’ movements and habitats: Birds and Animals
- Raising resilience and overcoming fear: Fun and Adventure
- Sleep: Are You Sleeping?
- Variety in animal form and behaviour: All Kinds of Animals
- Bravery and skill: Brave and Clever
- Transport – ways of moving from place to place: On the Move
- Christmas season: Christmas is Coming
- Christmas Day: Christmas is Here
These kindergarten music lesson plans were written by Carol Biddiss M.Ed and have been tested and refined by the team at Musical Child Early Learning through Music.